I’m very excited to announce that I’m teaching a new workshop with Russ Weakley. It’s called “Website user experience & CSS workshop: Designing for usability, building for the future“. It will be run in Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, in late March and April.
I’m teaching the day on user experience, and Russ is teaching on CSS, which is lucky for you as I’m pretty good at ux and Russ is awesomely good at teaching CSS.
I’m really looking forward to it – I’ve wanted to go to one of Russ’ tutorials for a couple of years. And I love teaching user experience design for the web – I’ve spent a lot of time doing it, and a lot of time thinking about what I’ve learned and how to best share it.
I hope to see you, or your colleagues, there. Please pass details on to anyone you think may benefit.
A hands-on workshop with user experience expert, Donna Maurer, and CSS
expert, Russ Weakley.
Over two full days you will build detailed websites layouts from the ground up – starting with page layout, navigation and form design; and ending with clean markup and elegant styling using XHTML/CSS.
Day 1: Planning and designing the user experience – Donna Maurer
On day one you will plan and design a website – focusing on the user experience: designing the navigation, page layout and forms.
- learn techniques to understand your users, and prepare user scenarios
- understand your content with content analysis methods
- create an effective and usable site structure (information architecture)
- design a range of navigation methods
- create page layouts for content, home, index and special pages
- design simple forms
For each step, Donna will outline the fundamentals and show examples from small and large website projects. But most of the time will be hands-on -you work on your own project, ask questions and discuss with the group.
Day 2: Building beautiful sites using CSS – Russ Weakley
On day two you will build your website from the ground up – starting with structural markup, adding accessible markup and then styling your layout using CSS.
You will learn:
- how to create well structured, accessible markup
- the basics of CSS including rule sets, selectors, shorthand rules, inheritance and the cascade.
- how to structure efficient CSS files
- how to create a full CSS layout from a flat graphic mockup
- how to deal with browser issues including specific browsers such as IE5,IE6 and IE7.
- how to create a resolution dependent layout
- how to create CSS for printing and hand held devices
Canberra – Monday 31 March and Tuesday 1 April
Melbourne – Thursday 3 April and Friday 4 April
Sydney – Monday 28 April and Tuesday 29 April
Brisbane – Thursday 1 May and Friday 2 May
More information and registration here: http://maxdesign.com.au/workshop2008/